Join us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Email Address:    Password:  
Forgot Password?
Client Login

Angola News

 

Prince Harry returns from charity trip


Posted on Monday, September 16th, 2013 at 14:47
London - Britain's Prince Harry has returned from Angola, where he visited a landmine clearance charity championed by his late mother, Princess Diana.

The HALO Trust charity said on Saturday the 28-year-old prince visited the Angolan town of Cuito Cuanavale, which saw heavy fighting during the southern African nation's 1975-2002 civil war.

The group said Harry toured minefields and met beneficiaries of the group's work.

Harry was following in the footsteps of Diana, who visited minefields in Angola in 1997 and drew global attention to the charity's efforts to clear them.

Kensington Palace said in a statement that Harry was pleased to see the progress HALO had made and that he was keen to continue supporting its work.

The prince visited minefields with HALO in Mozambique in 2010.

The group said that it began clearing mines in Cuito Cuanavale about three years after the end of Angola's civil war, and that it has so far located and destroyed more than 21 300 mines.

The charity, founded in Afghanistan in 1988, now works in countries including Cambodia, Laos and Zimbabwe.

- AP

Source: news24.com